Thursday, September 13, 2007

Original Sin (Personal Instance)

Kind
he was and
grandfather
___(not mine,
___so grandfatherly)
Set to be inoffensive
___Iron-firm, silver-haired
___like a man on TV
A mighty orchid
___and I,
___a happy bee

And I loved, too
___the little stream
___ ___that carved his land
___ ___imagine! to own a stream!)
___ ___like hot fudge across an ice cream plain
___Fascinated:
___ ___the little paddle wheel he'd made
___ ___held by rocks
___ ___a toy that turned and turned,
___ ___ ___spun by nature

I dared, like Prometheus
___I touched it; it broke
___tipped from its stones
___and stopped

I ran

Cried

Hid

Fearful he knew
___(how could he not?)
Imagining his rage
___(how could he forgive?)
Dreading his hate, I
___never returned

Did he wonder,
___where's the bee?
When he fixed the wheel,
___as surely he did,
___in seconds,
___did he do it for me,
___ ___wanting it to be right for my enjoyment?

I never looked him in the eye again.
___Afraid to be penitent
___Short-selling his mercy
___ ___I robbed us both.

No comments: